Area 2 (‘Environment’): Improve and manage resource use to reduce waste and enhance the environmental sustainability of European animal production
We are interested to collaborate in a multidisciplinary consortium and to contribute our expertise, tools and infrastructure to the consortium's activities related to improvement of animal health (B4.2.1 Management of Animal Health in the Call Announcement of SusAn).
PROVAXS (www.provaxs.com) offers access to a network of laboratories at Ghent University with a focus on infectious diseases and immunity that unite their expertise for the development of innovative vaccines, targeted therapeutics, feed additives and diagnostics.
We offer in depth academic expertise and research capacity on selected animal pathogens and the interaction with their host.
Academic and regulatory expertise
• Know how of professors and academic scientists who perform breakthrough research in their field of expertise
• In depth data evaluation and interpretation of results by academic experts
• Experience in vaccine development
• Contribution to WAAVP and VICH guidelines
• Member of EMA advisory board
Various challenge models and in vitro models
• Efficacy studies according to WAAVP and VICH guidelines (including early evaluation of efficacy, comparative studies and studies for registration purposes)
• Use of highly characterised challenge strains in reliable and reproducible models
• Classical infection and seeder-models
• Pathogenesis and vaccination-challenge studies
• Various in vitro models to quantify virus replication and/or determine cell tropism e.g. polarized nasal explants, macrophages/monocytes, cardiomyocytes
Experienced BSL2/3 laboratories and animal facilities
• Sample analysis in a broad diagnostic context (bacteriological, virological, parasitological )
• Quantification of pathogenic load upon infection and/or vaccination-challenge (e.g. organs, excretions, blood)
• Quantification of serological responses to vaccination and infection
• Necropsy and histopathology
• Genetic sequencing and analysis
• Networking with farmers and farm organisations
• Efficacy studies under field conditions combined with monitoring of effects on the productivity of the animals
• Collection of recent local field isolates
Today we offer :
• animal facilities for a wide range of animal species (swine, cattle, poultry, goat, sheep, horse, dog, cat, rabbit, ferret, guinea pig and mice)
• studies that comply with currently applicable scientific, legal, regulatory, and ethical requirements and guidelines
• pharmacokinetic, bio-availability, residue and safety studies and bio-analysis with respect to the OECD and the EU principles of Good Laboratory Practice
Our infrastructure offers up to 50 separate animal units ranging in size from 10 up to 60m2 at biosafety level (BSL)2 and 3 animal units (350m2) at BSL3. All rooms are designed to allow housing of different animal species and, as such, allow maximum flexibility. The facilities meet the highest standards in view of biosafety (including sophisticated air-handling units and, for the BSL3-units, effluent decontamination and tissue digestion) and are in compliance with the latest ethical guidelines (KB29052013 and Directive 2010/63/EU).