technological treatment, valorisation of products and by-products, NMR and traceability, pilot scale processes, separation, concentration, purification, drying, food industry
Area 2 (‘Environment’): Improve and manage resource use to reduce waste and enhance the environmental sustainability of European animal production
• Research, development, and transfer of processing technologies and innovative diagnostic methods aimed at improving food quality and safety;
• Research and development of new raw materials, ingredients, and foodstuff in the area of "functional foods";
• Research, development, and transfer of technologies and methodologies for the characterization, extraction, and purification of molecules of nutritional and industrial interest from plant, animal and agro-industrial residues;
• Chemical and physical characterization of food products, of new materials, soil and compost by NMR spectroscopy (High-resolution NMR of liquids, semi-solids, solids and Relaxometry);
• Development and testing of pilot scale processes of separation, concentration, purification and drying for the food industry, including the recovery of secondary materials from waste and / or wastewater;
• Development, optimization and scaling-up of fermentation processes aimed at the production of microbial cells, plants and biomolecules of industrial interest;
• Production of vitamins, colorants, flavors, natural pesticides by extraction from plant matrices and / or fermentation broths with CO2 and / or other fluids in the supercritical state, and any subsequent purification by chromatography or other technique;
• Technical/economic feasibility study of the opportunity to integrate commercially available solutions and technologies into agricultural and agri-food system.
ENEA is the Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development. Itis the second major Italian research organization, with around 2700 staff employees distributed in its 9 research centres all over the national territory. ENEA’s multidisciplinary competences and great expertise in managing complex research projects are put at the disposal of the Country system. Specifically, its activities are devoted to: basic, mission-oriented, and industrial research exploiting wide-ranging expertise as well as experimental facilities, specialized laboratories, advanced equipment.
One of ENEA’s important objectives is to operate for the development and innovation of the national agro-industrial production system. The aim is to obtain food products using competitive, sustainable, and energy-efficient processes. The focus is on the made-in-Italy agro-food, applying cross-disciplinary skills to the productive chain, and employing advanced facilities, technology platforms, and related service structures.
A database with over 500 innovative technologies, products and ENEA advanced services is available on the website: http://www.enea.it/it/ateco. Each technology is presented with its own technology readiness level (TRL).