beekeeping, bee pathologies, quality production, innovation, varroa, American foulbrood, European foulbrood, Nosema, Acarapis, virus, good beekeeping practices, honey, pollen food safety, PCR, genetics, microbiology, parasitology, morphometrical analysis
Area 1 (‘Economy’): Improve the productivity, resilience and competitiveness of European Animal Production
Given the importance of bees in the ecosystem and the food chain, our Institute, with a multidisciplinary approach, aims to improve the sustainable management of bees and increase quality/quantity of bee products using innovative technical approaches
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale del Lazio e della Toscana “Mariano Aleandri” (IZSLT) is a public body operating in the frame of the National Health Service with duties related to animal health and welfare and food safety. In such areas it provides services in the diagnosis of animal diseases and zoonoses, microbiological, chemical and physical controls over safety of foods, food production chains and animal feed. In the same areas it performs research, epidemiological surveillance, continuous training and international cooperation activities.
IZSLT's mission is to ensure that animal health and welfare, hygiene of farms, primary productions, safety of foods and animal feed comply with the relevant legislation.
To effectively fulfill its mission, the Institute carries out:
- diagnostic service over animal diseases and zoonoses;
- scientific and technical support to veterinary and public health services for controls on animals, food and feed;
- laboratory tests to verify the health status of animals;
- technical and scientific support to monitor veterinary medicines;
- research on animal health and welfare, food safety and hygiene of farming and livestockproducts;
- studies on animal welfare and development of alternatives to the use of animals in experiments;
- studies to monitor the safety of food of animal origin and feed;
- scientific and technological cooperation with other research institutes;
- epidemiological surveillance on animal health and food safety, on livestock products and on environmental factors affecting the above;
- studies on the health risks for humans linked to animals and animal products;
- support, technical assistance and hygiene information to manufacturers of food of animal origin;
- production of vaccines and laboratory diagnostics for the improvement of animal health.
In the frame of IZSLT activities, the Apiculture Unit’s mission (http://www.izslt.it/apicoltura/) is to certify and guarantee the health and welfare of bees, and the hygiene and safety of the hive products, through: diagnosis of bee diseases and analyses on hive products, support to Governmental Institutions in drawing up legislation, research activity, collaboration with other laboratories or institutions, technical support and training for operators, pollution environmental monitoring using honey bees and protection of honey bee biodiversity.